"Tears in the Rain" is the worse of two possible endings to the stories of Ethan Mars and Madison Paige in Heavy Rain, which they can get if they survive and are in a relationship at the end of the game. It is the third worst ending for Ethan and (arguably) the neutral ending for Madison.
Ethan and Madison stand over Shaun's gravestone. Ethan is visibly upset. Madison talks about moving away to a place where it never rains so they can both start a new life, and asks him to give her a child. Ethan cannot get past the guilt he feels about being unable to save or protect his sons. He asks Madison for a moment alone. Madison starts to walk back to the car and Ethan pulls out a gun; Madison cries out as he shoots himself. The screen then fades away as Madison cries over his body.
Madison: We'll go away from here, Ethan. Somewhere where it never rains. We'll start a new life. You'll get a job as an architect and I'll work for the local newspaper. We'll rebuild our life... and we'll finally forget.
Madison: I want you to give me a child. A little boy with your eyes. And we'll watch him grow up together and we'll be happy. We'll get through this, Ethan. Life has to go on. I'll be there to help you. We'll get through this nightmare together...I love you, Ethan.
Ethan: Just give me a few more minutes Madison. I'll catch up.
Madison: I'll... wait for you in the car.
Madison: No, Ethan no!
(Ethan shoots himself and dies, slumping over. Madison rushes over to his body in shock.)
- Ethan evades arrest and survives.
- Madison survives and is kissed and forgiven in "On the Loose."
- Nobody arrives at "The Old Warehouse;" this means that Ethan must go to the wrong place or not complete enough trials, Norman must die or fail the final puzzle, and Madison must survive in "Killer's Place" but find the wrong location.
- This can be considered Ethan's third worst ending because he cannot cope with losing his sons despite having the opportunity to build a new life with Madison. It can be considered Madison's neutral ending because she is ready and willing to build a new life with a man she loves, but is forced to deal with the shock and grief of losing him instead.
- This ending is very similar to "Origami Blues," with the only difference being that Madison has died or Ethan has rejected her in the latter.