|Father and Son|
|Played As:||Ethan Mars|
Father and Son is the third chapter in Heavy Rain. It takes place two years after Jason Mars' death in the previous chapter and eighteen months after Ethan's recovery from a six-month long coma. This chapter largely serves as demonstration of just how shattered Ethan's life is; his wife has divorced him sometime ago, and now his second and last son is cold and distant to him.
After the loss of Jason it appears Ethan is struggling to keep his life on track. Now separated from his wife. Grace, Ethan lives alone with Shaun in a worn and ugly two story apartment. The apartment is sparsely kept, furnished badly and cheaply, unpacked boxes fill corners, and Ethan's 'office' upstairs is largely dusty and abandoned with the exception of a corner where a VCR and TV sit (the player can have Ethan watch the tape in the VCR, it shows an old tape of Jason and Shaun playing, Ethan asks Jason what he wants to be when he grows up, Ethan will break down briefly after watching). Ethan's employment status and income are never brought up, considering he was comatose for six months it is possible he is on some kind of unemployment or disability.
Ethan has joint custody of Shaun and cares for him during the week. Ethan has a schedule for Shaun written out on a chalkboard in the kitchen / dining room. Following this schedule as well as getting medicine from the bathroom for Shaun when he sneezes and retrieving his teddy bear from the laundry room when putting him to bed will earn a trophy.
The chapter outlines a distinct rift between Ethan and Shaun. Throughout, they barely talk; Shaun preferring to watch television than engage with his dad. When questioned, Shaun is reclusive, keeping conversation to a minimum. Ethan is wracked with guilt and frustration over his relationship with Shaun and failure to save Jason.
It is up to the player to make choices on how best to tend to Shaun's needs. The player can neglect Shaun entirely, or impose a schedule of homework, dinner and then a suitable bed-time upon him.
It is whilst looking after Shaun that Ethan discovers he has received an unusual letter. Upon further inspection, it is revealed to be a cryptic message reading:
"When the parents came home from church,
all their children were gone.
The searched and called for them,
they cried and begged,
but it was all to no avail.
The children have never been seen again."
After reading it he discards it amongst the rest of his mail.
Once Shaun is put to bed, the chapter concludes with Ethan suffering from seizure-like symptoms in his home. After blacking out, he awakes suddenly to find himself outside in the rain, unaware of how he got there, clutching a small origami figure.
The best way to end this chapter results in getting the Good Father trophy. In order to get the trophy, you have to follow the schedule on the chalkboard in the kitchen, and then put Shaun to bed in the best mood possible. Use the clocks in the living room and the kitchen to check the time.
Additionally, when you see Shaun sneeze, you must get him medicine. The medicine is at the top of the stairs in the bathroom.
At 4:30, you have to ask Shaun if he would like a snack. Go into the kitchen and get an apple from a bowl by the sink (there is also a granola bar in a cupboard). Give it to Shaun. At 6:00, tell Shaun to go do his homework. After he finishes, check his work and then let him go back and watch TV. At 7:00, ask Shaun if he is ready for dinner. Go to the fridge and pick either chicken or pizza (it doesn't matter which one you choose). Take it and put it into the microwave. Set it on the table. At 8:00, tell Shaun that it's time for bed. When he asks to stay up and watch TV, tell him no, and he will go upstairs to bed. When he goes upstairs, close his windows. He tells you to go find his teddy, which is in the laundry room (next to the kitchen), sitting on top of the dryer. Grab it and take it back to him. Tuck him in, and leave the room. This should result in you getting the Good Father trophy, as long as you didn't shut Shaun's door too hard.
- Ethan Mars - 2 years after the last chapter, Ethan is now living a broken life. Apparently no longer working as an architect (judging by the state of his office and his cheap living accommodations) he is separated or divorced from Grace and his relationship with Shaun is strained.
- Shaun Mars - Ethan's surviving son his relationship with his father is strained and he still lives with his brother's death to the point that he still draws the scene of the accident.
- Jason Mars (on video) - Appears in a video in the VCR in Ethan's long-neglected office.
Good Father: Father and Son - Follow the schedule with Shaun and put him to bed in a good mood. (Bronze)
- The chapter can prove to be quite distressing for Ethan as there are several items that directly remind him of Jason's death and of his family and life before the incident. Most notably, a family home video can be viewed in the upstairs study if Ethan watches it he will rebuke himself for obsessing over it.
- The small origami figure found in Ethan's hand at the climax of this chapter is a dog similar to those found in the hands of the origami killer's victims. This later leads Ethan to believe he is suffering from dissociative identity disorder and a part of him is the killer.
- Ethan and, oddly, his therapist Dupre both confuse dissociative identity disorder -once popularly referred to as multiple personalities- and schizophrenia.
- The chapter can be ended quickly by turning off the TV Shaun's watching. Say no twice after turning off the TV and Shaun will go upstairs and hate you for what you've done. He will also be upset if the player makes him go to bed early. However, upsetting Shaun will not earn the Good Father trophy.
- If the player allows Shaun to stay up late, he will fall asleep on the couch at 10:00. The player will then be prompted to carry him to his bed, change him into his pajamas, and tuck him in.
- If the player examines the nightstand next to Shaun's bed they will see a drawing Shaun made. If the player executes the correct motion they will see the picture clearly and see that Shaun recreated the scene of Jason's death at the mall.
- If the player does not ask if Shaun would like a snack or fails to get a snack for Shaun he will get a snack of potato chips from the kitchen himself.
- Note that when Shaun is put to bed the black out does not occur until the player has made Ethan leave the room.
- Shaun is watching Pyrats by Les Gobelins.
NOTE: As of 2012 most glitches have likely been corrected via over the air updates for systems with internet access or newer pressings.
- There is a glitch that may occur while Shaun is eating his dinner that will force you to reset the PS3. If you perform the motion to get up from the table at the same time Shaun gets up to put away his plate, Ethan will freeze and stand in one spot indefinitely.
- There is another glitch that may occur if the player lets Shaun stay up very late. If Shaun is kept up between 9:30pm and 10:00, the interaction to ask Shaun to go to bed will not show up, therefore it is impossible to put him to bed. The only way to end the chapter here is for you to use the method above, turning off the TV while Shaun is watching, and he will be angry and run upstairs. This, of course, prevents you from getting the Good Father trophy.
Chapters played as Ethan (in chronological order) - Prologue | The Mall | Father and Son | The Shrink | The Park | Where's Shaun? | Paparazzi | Lexington Station | The Motel | The Bear | The Butterfly | The Lizard | Fugitive | The Shark | On the Loose | The Rat | The Old Warehouse
Chapters played as Scott (in chronological order) - Sleazy Place | Hassan's Shop | Suicide Baby | A Visitor | Kramer's Party | The Golf Club | Manfred | Eureka | The Cemetery | Flowers on the Grave | Trapped | Face to Face | Hold My Hand | Origami Killer
Chapters played as Norman (in chronological order) - Crime Scene | Welcome, Norman | Kick Off Meeting | Nathaniel | Covered Market | Shrink and Punches | Jayden Blues | Under Arrest | Mad Jack | Fish Tank | Solving the Puzzle | The Old Warehouse