|Played As:||Scott Shelby|
|Bronze:|| White Knight |
|Previous:||Father and Son|
Sleazy Place is the fourth playable chapter in Heavy Rain. The chapter introduces the player to the second of the game's four playable characters, Scott Shelby. This chapter is one of the two chapters available in the game's demo, the other being Crime Scene (the following chapter). This chapter introduces QTE's (Quick-Time Events) to the player.
Scott enters a run-down hotel in search of Lauren Winter, a prostitute and the mother of Johnny Winter, a victim of the Origami Killer. He bribes the front desk clerk to find out which room she's in. She tells him to put his money on her table, believing Scott to be a customer. She begins to take off her robe, but notices Shelby just standing there and tells him to take his clothes off. Shelby tells her that he's not a customer. Shelby is a private investigator and wishes to inquire about the circumstances under which Johnny disappeared, in the hope it will provide some clue in unmasking the identity of the Origami Killer.
The player must work strategically in order to successfully divulge information from Lauren, who is distressed and not easily willing to help Scott. She mentions that her son lived with her and that he was best thing that ever happened to her. She wanted to stop turning tricks, but she needs the money to move out of the motel where she is living. Depending on the player's decisions, this chapter can have several outcomes, but ultimately Lauren tells Scott to get out. He leaves the room and has an asthma attack. After taking his medicine, he sees one of Lauren's ex-clients barge into her room. Soon after, Lauren cries out as the client presumably starts beating her up.
The chapter also introduces a new interaction sequence style for the player, in the form of Quick Time Events (QTE's). This technique requires the player to mimic commands displayed on the screen quickly and accurately in a sort of visual Simon Says. Should the player wish to intervene and stop Troy from abusing Lauren, there will be a fight scene between Scott and Troy, which can either be won or lost; it doesn't really effect the storyline. Alternatively, the player can choose not to get involved and simply walk away.
Regardless of the player's choices, the chapter ends with Scott leaving the hotel after leaving his business card on the kitchen table in the hope that Lauren will contact him.
- Scott Shelby - Private investigator, investigating the Origami Killer attempts to question Lauren Winter.
- Unknown Building Manager - Manager of the building. Will divulge Lauren's location only if Scott bribes him.
- Lauren Winter - Distraught mother and prostitute, Scott Shelby attempts to interview her about her son's death. She is also briefly assaulted by Troy.
- Troy - Breaks into Lauren's apartment and attacks (maybe even rapes) Lauren Winter; Troy can succeed in his attack, is beaten up by Shelby and leaves, or leaves after beating Scott.
- Johnny Winter - Son of Lauren Winter and Alan Winter; victim of the Origami Killer
- Alan Winter - Mentioned as the father of Johnny Winter. Disappeared shortly after Johnny's disappearence and murder.
White Knight: Sleazy Place - Beat Troy. (Bronze)
Private Eye: Sleazy Place - Lead Lauren to talk about her son. (Bronze)
- There is a rare glitch in where Lauren can appear to move backwards without walking, through the walls and back to normal through the wall and so forth, there is no way to fix this until the chapter is over when it automatically stops.
- There is a glitch where Troy remains at the top of the stairs when walking towards Lauren's room. Players faced with this problem may either leave or restart the chapter.
- This is the first chapter to introduce Scott Shelby.
- After paying Lauren for her 'services' she sets a timer to go off after ten minutes. In reality, however, it goes off after five.
- Giving Lauren the $50 or not doesn't have any noticeable effect on the questions or answers while talking to her.
- After talking with Lauren, Scott can leave without giving her the business card, it doesnt effect the story, and Lauren will still appear in the chapter "A Visitor".
- Sleazy Place is the first chapter featured in the Heavy Rain demo.
- Sleazy Place introduces Lauren Winters.
- This is the first chapter without Ethan Mars.
- Before Troy leaves he says: "I'll see you again, asshole" (to Shelby). It is unknown why, because they do not meet again. It is possible Troy would have appeared in a episode of Heavy Rain Chronicles or it was just an empty threat.
- SPOILER --- This is the first chapter to feature the Origami Killer.
Chapters played as Ethan (in chronological order) - Prologue | The Mall | Father and Son | The Shrink | The Park | Where's Shaun? | Paparazzi | Lexington Station | The Motel | The Bear | The Butterfly | The Lizard | Fugitive | The Shark | On the Loose | The Rat | The Old Warehouse
Chapters played as Scott (in chronological order) - Sleazy Place | Hassan's Shop | Suicide Baby | A Visitor | Kramer's Party | The Golf Club | Manfred | Eureka | The Cemetery | Flowers on the Grave | Trapped | Face to Face | Hold My Hand | Origami Killer
Chapters played as Norman (in chronological order) - Crime Scene | Welcome, Norman | Kick Off Meeting | Nathaniel | Covered Market | Shrink and Punches | Jayden Blues | Under Arrest | Mad Jack | Fish Tank | Solving the Puzzle | The Old Warehouse