|Played As:||Ethan Mars|
|Bronze:|| Gold Finger |
|Previous:||The Golf Club|
- The Lizard figure
The Lizard Trial is the third of Ethan's five trials (and arguably, the most brutal) he must complete in order to save Shaun.
Arriving and PreparingEdit
The chapter begins with an aerial view of Ethan's car driving to an empty apartment. He walks in to the building, the entire interior of the building seems to be burnt. Ethan notices several porcelain lizards on the floor. He shakes them hearing a rattling sound he breaks one. A key is revealed concealed within the the figure. Eventually Ethan finds the correct figure with the right key to unlock a nearby door, which has a lizard painted on it. He walks inside and finds a table with another computer-like device that will guide him through the challenge. Ethan a play button on the device which tells him he has five minutes to "chop off the last section of one of his fingers in front of the camera". The player can now choose to collect the tools needed to maim Ethan or leave and fail the trial.
Supplies and LocationsEdit
- Butcher's Knife (for cutting off finger) (stuck in a wall)
- Saw (for cutting off finger) (right side of the table)
- Hatchet (for cutting off finger) (beside the door you enter, you can probably see it while you enter)
- Scissors (for cutting off finger) (bathroom sink)
- Pliers (for cutting off finger) (in the television stand behind the table)
- Piece of Wood, optional (Ethan can put this in his mouth so he has something else to focus on, in order to reduce the pain) (In the main room, on the floor by the window/air conditioner)
- Disinfectant, optional (Ethan can put this on his finger before he cuts it off so it won't get infected, or afterwards.) (Bathroom cabinet)
- Whisky, optional (Ethan can use this to temporarily daze himself, reducing the pain somewhat) (kitchen cupboard)
- Heated steel rod, optional (used to cauterize wound) (on the ground in the main room. the player must enter the kitchen and heat it on the stove)
If Ethan proceeds he will collect his supplies and sit at the table in front of the camera. Assuming the player has collected all available supplies Ethan can now drink the whiskey, apply the disinfectant, and put the piece of wood in his mouth. These actions lessen Ethan's pain if the player chooses to perform the amputation. The player then selects which tool Ethan will use to amputate his finger. The player can calm Ethan down by breathing in and out until Ethan is ready. The player can choose to either "Try It" or "Do It". If the player selects "Try It", Ethan practices with his choice of tool against his finger. The player must select "Do It" to begin the amputation. After removing the last section of his left pinky finger Ethan falls from the chair screaming in pain, while the finger bleeds heavily. Depending on the tool chosen the tip may come off clean or may need to be cut again. Once Ethan has successfully maimed his hand he can use the heated steel rod to cauterize the wound, or pour disinfectant on it. Subsequently, a dazed and hurt Ethan hears the device state "Under the desk." Ethan walks over and punches the wood through under the desk. He picks up his reward, another chip for the cell phone, and puts it in. The player receives more letters and a short video of Shaun submersed in water almost up to his chest. Ethan staggers from the apartment, weeping in pain, completing The Lizard trial.
- Failure to complete chapter: Ethan will not get the rest of the letters, which means he will always have to guess the correct location or he can depend on Madison to tell him about the location.
- Completion of trial: Ethan will receive more letters.
This trial is named "The Lizard" probably because of certain lizards' ability to lose limbs/body parts and survive or even re-grow the lost limb.
- David Cage said that this event was also taken from his real life, because he once cut his finger. He did not state whether he cut if off or not, but it can be seen on his pictures.
- Cauterizing and disinfecting the wound drinking the whiskey and focusing on the wood do not result in less injury to Ethan (though the cauterization and disinfectant earn a trophy) they exist to lessen Ethan's pain and assuage the player's guilt.
- If the player decides not to cut off the section of the finger, and then tries to escape with Madison in the next chapter, an officer will, oddly enough, shoot off that same section of the same finger. It seems, therefore, that Ethan cannot possibly keep that finger intact throughout the entire story without being arrested.
- If Ethan doesn't cut his finger and then fails to successfully escape (this can be done by moving the box in front of the window then standing around waiting for the cops to enter) he WILL NOT lose his finger.
- If Ethan takes three or four drinks of whiskey the screen will become blurry and he will use different, less loud screams after his finger is cut off (this may also depend on the tool used).
- It is possible to use either the disinfectant OR the iron rod on Ethan's wound after his finger is cut off. It is, however, impossible to do both.
- If Ethan has failed both trials, The Bear and The Butterfly, and escapes with Madison without cutting his finger, the police officer will shoot his shoulder instead.
- Pascal Langdale, Ethan's voice actor, has been widely praised for his acting in this chapter for mimicking pain very realistically.
Chapters played as Ethan (in chronological order) - Prologue | The Mall | Father and Son | The Shrink | The Park | Where's Shaun? | Paparazzi | Lexington Station | The Motel | The Bear | The Butterfly | The Lizard | Fugitive | The Shark | On the Loose | The Rat | The Old Warehouse
Chapters played as Scott (in chronological order) - Sleazy Place | Hassan's Shop | Suicide Baby | A Visitor | Kramer's Party | The Golf Club | Manfred | Eureka | The Cemetery | Flowers on the Grave | Trapped | Face to Face | Hold My Hand | Origami Killer
Chapters played as Norman (in chronological order) - Crime Scene | Welcome, Norman | Kick Off Meeting | Nathaniel | Covered Market | Shrink and Punches | Jayden Blues | Under Arrest | Mad Jack | Fish Tank | Solving the Puzzle | The Old Warehouse