|“|| ARE YOU PREPARED TO MAKE A SACRIFICE TO SAVE YOUR SON?
- The Lizard origami figure
The chapter begins with an aerial view of Ethan's car driving to an empty apartment. He walks in to the building, the entire interior of which seems to be burnt. Ethan notices several new porcelain lizards on the floor, out of place in the burned apartment. Ethan tries shaking the porcelain figures; in one of them he hears a rattling noise and breaks it. A key flies out of the figure. Ethan uses the key to unlock a door at the end of the hallway, which has a lizard painted on it. He walks inside and finds a table with another computer-like device that will guide him through the challenge. Ethan presses the play button on the device, which tells him that he has five minutes to "cut off the last section of one of his fingers in front of the camera." The player can now choose to collect the tools needed to maim Ethan, or leave and fail the trial.
Supplies and LocationsEdit
- Butcher's knife (for cutting off Ethan's finger) - Stuck in a wall.
- Saw (for cutting off Ethan's finger) - On the right side of the table.
- Hatchet (for cutting off Ethan's finger) - Beside the door you use to enter the apartment.
- Scissors (for cutting off Ethan's finger) - By the bathroom sink.
- Pliers (for cutting off Ethan's finger) - In the television stand behind the table.
- Piece of wood, optional (for putting in Ethan's mouth to give him something to bite down on instead of focusing on the pain) - In the main room, on the floor by the window/air conditioner.
- Disinfectant, optional (for putting on Ethan's finger either before or after chopping it off to prevent infection) - In the bathroom cabinet.
- Whiskey, optional (for temporarily dazing Ethan to reduce the pain) - In the kitchen cupboard.
- Heated steel rod, optional (for cauterizing Ethan's wound) - On the ground in the main room. You must enter the kitchen and heat it on the stove.
If Ethan proceeds he will collect his supplies and sit at the table in front of the camera. Assuming the player has collected all available supplies Ethan can now drink the whiskey, apply the disinfectant, and put the piece of wood in his mouth. These actions lessen Ethan's pain if the player chooses to perform the amputation. The player then selects which tool Ethan will use to amputate his finger. The player can calm Ethan down by breathing in and out until Ethan is ready. The player can choose to either "Try It" or "Do It". If the player selects "Try It", Ethan practices with his choice of tool against his finger. The player must select "Do It" to begin the amputation.
After removing the last section of his left pinky finger Ethan falls from the chair screaming in pain, while the finger bleeds heavily. Depending on the tool chosen the tip may come off clean or may need to be cut again. Once Ethan has successfully maimed his hand he can use the heated steel rod to cauterize the wound, or pour disinfectant on it. Subsequently, a dazed and hurt Ethan hears the device state "Under the desk." Ethan walks over and punches the wood through under the desk. He picks up his reward, another chip for the cell phone, and puts it in. The player receives more letters and a short video of Shaun submersed in water almost up to his chest. Ethan staggers from the apartment, weeping in pain, completing The Lizard trial.
This trial is named "The Lizard" probably because of certain lizards' ability to lose limbs/body parts and survive or even re-grow the lost limb.
- Gold Finger – Cut off your finger using axe, knife or pliers & disinfect or cauterize the wound.
- Butcher – Cut your finger using a saw or scissor.
- David Cage said that this event was also taken from his real life, because he once cut his finger. He did not state whether he cut if off or not, but it can be seen on his pictures.
- Cauterizing and disinfecting the wound, drinking the whiskey, and focusing on the wood do not result in less injury to Ethan (though the cauterization and disinfectant earn a trophy), they are simply there to lessen Ethan's pain and assuage the player's guilt.
- That said, the fastest way to complete the chapter whilst doing the trial (if you're not interested in or already got those trophies, and perhaps if you want to hear the authentic unmitigated screams) is to go pick up the saw embedded in the wall and cut the finger. Go under the table right away, and the chapter will end after that cutscene.
- If the player decides not to cut off the section of the finger, and then tries to escape with Madison in the next chapter, an officer will, oddly enough, shoot off that same section of the same finger. It seems, therefore, Ethan cannot possibly keep that finger intact throughout the entire story without being arrested.
- If Ethan doesn't cut his finger and then fails to successfully escape (this can be done by moving the box in front of the window then standing around waiting for the cops to enter), he WILL NOT lose his finger.
- If Ethan takes three or four drinks of whiskey, the screen will become blurry and he will use different, less loud screams after his finger is cut off (this may also depend on the tool used).
- It is possible to use either the disinfectant OR the iron rod on Ethan's wound after his finger is cut off. It is, however, impossible to do both.
- Pascal Langdale, Ethan's voice actor, has been widely praised for his acting in this chapter for mimicking pain very realistically.
- In real life, Ethan's finger would likely spurt blood out continuously without the iron rod to cauterize it.
- If Ethan escapes the apartments with Madison quickly enough, he will avoid getting shot by the police. If they are too slow, he will get shot. If shot, the location of the shot is determined by whether he cut off his finger or not. If he has cut it off, the cop will shoot him in the shoulder. If not, the cop will shoot the finger. Whether Ethan is shot or not does not impact his ability to successfully complete the chapter and get away.
Chapters played as Ethan (in chronological order) - Prologue | The Mall | Father and Son | The Shrink | The Park | Where's Shaun? | Paparazzi | Lexington Station | The Motel | The Bear | The Butterfly | The Lizard | Fugitive | The Shark | On the Loose | The Rat | The Old Warehouse
Chapters played as Scott (in chronological order) - Sleazy Place | Hassan's Shop | Suicide Baby | A Visitor | Kramer's Party | The Golf Club | Manfred | Eureka | The Cemetery | Flowers on the Grave | Trapped | Face to Face | Hold My Hand | Origami Killer
Chapters played as Norman (in chronological order) - Crime Scene | Welcome, Norman | Kick Off Meeting | Nathaniel | Covered Market | Shrink and Punches | Jayden Blues | Under Arrest | Mad Jack | Fish Tank | Solving the Puzzle | The Old Warehouse