|Played As:||Ethan Mars|
|Next:||Father and Son|
The Mall is the second chapter in Heavy Rain.
After the last chapter (which introduced the characters and was a gameplay tutorial), Ethan Mars and his family go to a bustling mall. However, the storyline of Heavy Rain is set in motion when a major event happens at the mall.
DescriptionEditThe chapter opens with the Mars family on an outing to a shopping mall. Playing as Ethan the player at Grace's request takes charge of Jason whilst she and Shaun buy shoes. It is during this short conversation that Jason begins to wander off.
By guiding Ethan around the Mall, the player can locate Jason near a balloon vendor, dressed as a clown. Ethan tells Jason not to wander off like that then buys him a red balloon. While paying for the purchase Jason deserts his father once again. Alarmed, Ethan starts to search for Jason and runs into Grace. Grace is concerned by how crowded the mall is, Ethan tells Grace that Jason wandered off then tells her to stay put with Shaun while he finds Jason.
Using the balloon as a way of identifying Jason amongst the rapidly growing crowd, the player must guide Ethan to a series of red balloons found within the environment. To Ethan's dismay, none of them belong to Jason.
Pushing through the crowds one last time and nearing the exit Ethan sees Jason's balloon outside and across the street. Ethan calls out to Jason who turns and starts to walk toward Ethan. Ethan sees an oncoming car and tries to stop Jason. Ignoring or not hearing Ethan's warning Jason charges forward. Ethan races to save Jason he manages to grab his son and pull Jason toward him as both are struck down by the car. Grace arrives in time to see Jason and Ethan struck; as she drops to her knees and begins to cry and shout Jason repeatedly. Shaun, shocked and slack jawed, looks on. The camera follows Jason's red balloon as it drifts away into the sky and the chapter ends.
- Ethan Mars = Fails to save Jason Mars.
- Jason Mars = Ethan's eldest son (aged 10) struck and killed by a car.
- Shaun Mars = Ethan's younger son (age 8) witnesses his brother's death when Jason and Ethan are struck by a car.
- Grace Mars = Ethan's wife witnesses Jason's death when he and Ethan struck by the car.
- The large crowd of people in the malls and its environs implying the gameworld is set in a large city. Ethan develops a crippling fear of crowds after this chapter.
- The Clown - The Clown that sold Ethan a red balloon for Jason; during the exchange Jason wanders off.
- The Origami Killer, as revealed in the final chapter, is a member of the crowd watching as Ethan and Jason are hit. NOTE: The killer is not visible in the footage shown during the chapter.
- David Cage based this chapter on one of his real life events, when he, his wife and his child were in a shopping mall and their child was lost.
- The Mall scene has spawned the popular internet meme, Press X To Jason.
- The car that hit Jason and Ethan resembles a Chevrolet Impala.
- The events in this chapter result in Ethan developing agoraphobia, a paralyzing fear of public places.
- Some people are confused as to how exactly Jason died; in the scene in which the car hits him, Ethan successfully grabs Jason and pulls Jason toward himself evidently putting himself between Jason and the car. It is never explicitly stated that Ethan's actions directly or indirectly caused Jason's death but it is a possibility, particularly if Jason hit the pavement and Ethan's larger frame was thrown against the boy by the impact.
Chapters played as Ethan (in chronological order) - Prologue | The Mall | Father and Son | The Shrink | The Park | Where's Shaun? | Paparazzi | Lexington Station | The Motel | The Bear | The Butterfly | The Lizard | Fugitive | The Shark | On the Loose | The Rat | The Old Warehouse
Chapters played as Scott (in chronological order) - Sleazy Place | Hassan's Shop | Suicide Baby | A Visitor | Kramer's Party | The Golf Club | Manfred | Eureka | The Cemetery | Flowers on the Grave | Trapped | Face to Face | Hold My Hand | Origami Killer
Chapters played as Norman (in chronological order) - Crime Scene | Welcome, Norman | Kick Off Meeting | Nathaniel | Covered Market | Shrink and Punches | Jayden Blues | Under Arrest | Mad Jack | Fish Tank | Solving the Puzzle | The Old Warehouse